The Crispiest Chocolate Chip Cookies
Updated: Feb 6, 2020
So what's the secret to the most delicious crispy, crunchy chocolate chip cookies? The answer is simple - good quality butter + vegetable shortening. Here's a treasured family recipe that's easy to follow that'll guarantee Famous Amos-esque cookies every time!
Here's a nifty hack - replace chocolate chips with Reese peanut butter baking chips for a yummy peanut butter variation or add half a cup of cocoa powder for DOUBLE the chocolatey goodness.
10 mins prep time, total cook time 18 - 20 mins.
4 cups flour
1 cup butter - make sure to buy good quality butter
1 cup Crisco - or your choice of vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup nuts, chopped - optional
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
2. Beat the butter, Crisco, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla.
3. Add in the egg, beat for one minute.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients, mix until completely combined.
5. Using a small ice-cream scoop, portion out the batter and arrange on a tray. Make sure to leave enough space between each scoop to allow the cookie to expand when cooking.
6. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 8 - 10 mins, or until cookie is golden brown.
ALY'S COOKING TIPS
1. These cookies have that crispy, crunchy feel entirely because of the vegetable shortening. I've tried other brands but I find that Crisco does the work best!
2. Do not penny pinch on the butter. The quality of the butter results in a light and crunchy cookie - SCS Butter and President Butter are both good brands that are reasonably priced.
3. This recipe is a great base for you to get creative with. Some tried and tested variations are Reese Peanut Butter, Double Chocolate, Dried Cranberry & White Chocolate - the possibilities are limitless!
4. If you do not have a mini ice-cream scooper, BUY ONE. This handy tool makes life a whole load easier when baking cookies.