Mexican Three Bean Salad
Updated: Feb 6
Over the weekend, we hosted a fabulous taco party and cooked up a storm for our loved ones - I was celebrating the big 3-0, and we wanted to make sure our guests were well fed with food and drinks throughout the night. It was also a great opportunity for me to experiment with new recipes to share here! First up on the blog is this incredible three bean salad I made for our vegetarian guests - healthy, fuss-free and it sure packs a punch! Like all bean salads, the taste gets better the longer it's kept in the fridge, and is still delicious (if not more) after 2 or even 3 days in the fridge.
Beans are a great source of protein and have around 9-17g of dietary fiber. This fiber is responsible for many of the health benefits associated with eating beans - such as balancing blood sugar to lower the risk of diabetes and maintaining healthy cholesterol levels to lower cardiovascular disease. Beans are also an excellent source of iron, magnesium, potassium, folate, zinc and Vitamin B6. While naturally low in sodium, canned beans can be quite high in sodium so make sure to rinse your beans under cold water before putting this dish together.
This recipe serves 8-10 people. Prep time 5 minutes, ready in 30 minutes.
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 ears of corn, boiled and cut from the cob
1 large cucumber, chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup coriander, chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon chili flakes
Half a lemon, squeezed
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Drain beans under cold water and set aside.
2. Boil corn in water, cut the kernels from the cob. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients together. Mix well until each ingredient is completely coated with the dressing.
4. Taste along the way. Some may want more spice so feel free to add in more chili. You can also add in more lemon juice for a more tangy taste.
5. Cover with foil, plastic wrap or lid and chill in the fridge until ready to serve - the minimum time it should be left to chill is 30 minutes.
ALY'S COOKING TIPS
1. The flavors will develop more the longer you leave it to chill in the fridge. So prepare this easy dish hours in advanced for maximum flavor!
2. You can use any combination of beans that you like. Black beans and green beans are all great in this dish! For added crunch, add in chopped carrots.