The Perfect Chocolate Brownie Recipe
Updated: Feb 6, 2020
The ultimate chocolate brownie is moist and fudgy on the inside, and by definition, is a cross between a cake and soft cookie. Best enjoyed fresh off the oven with a light sprinkle of confectioners sugar - I almost always bring a tray to dinner parties. Here's my treasured family recipe that's full proof and proven to please.
Recipe makes 9 large square pieces. Prep time 10 minutes, total cook time 40 minutes.
125g dark chocolate
1 cup fine sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, kept in room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven at 175 degrees.
2. Melt butter and dark chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla essence by hand.
4. Add in the melted butter and chocolate mixture into the mixing bowl.
5. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder and mix until completely combined.
6. Line a 9" x 9" tray with baking paper and pour in the brownie batter.
7. To remove any bubble, gently tap the tray on the counter top, making sure the batter is evenly spread out.
8. Bake in the oven at 175 degrees for 40 minutes.
9. When cooked, leave it out to cool down completely before cutting.
ALY'S COOKING TIPS
1. For that fudgy consistency, do not over-beat the batter. Gently fold in the flour and cocoa mixture and beat about 20 times until completely combined.
2. Always bake with room temperature eggs. The eggs will mix in more evenly into the batter, allowing for a lighter texture and more even cooking.
3. When completely cooled, cut the brownie with a plastic knife to reduce crumbling when cutting.