Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Updated: Feb 6, 2020
A definite staple at the dinner table, this cheesy garlic mashed potato recipe is versatile enough for you to have as a side served with baked fish, seafood, or pretty much any meat. The cheese adds a sticky consistency to this creamy dish, and the garlic and coriander adds a packed punch in every bite!
This recipe serves 6-8 people. Prep time 5 minutes, ready in 20 minutes.
6 large potatoes
1-2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
5 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Spring onion, chopped for garnish
1. Wrap whole garlic cloves in aluminium foil with a dash of olive oil. Cook in the oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes, or until garlic is soft and tender, and adequately browned. Remove from skin and set aside.
2. In a large pot, add in potatoes and bring to a boil. Add a spoonful of salt in the water to season the potatoes.
3. When the potatoes are almost cooked, heat up milk and butter in a separate saucepan. Stir continuously to avoid burning.
4. Drain the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl, stir in the milk mixture slowly while mashing the potatoes.
5. Add in cheese and garlic, continue mashing until consistency is smooth and creamy.
6. Stir in salt & pepper and coriander. Taste along the way to make sure the flavors are to your liking. Garnish with spring onion and serve warm.
ALY'S COOKING TIPS
1. You can boil the garlic until it is soft instead, if you do not own an oven. I would however encourage this method instead as it takes half the cooking time, and produces a more intense garlic flavor.
2. Add more milk if you prefer your mashed potatoes creamier, or less milk if you like a more chunky texture. There's no hard and fast rule here, add as much milk until you get the consistency you like.
3. To bring it to another level, you can also chop up fresh coriander and stir it into the mixture. Adds a refreshing touch to the heavy staple.