Waffles, in my opinion, is the holy trinity of comfort foods - top it off with a drizzle of maple syrup and fresh fruits for a hearty breakfast, add a generous scoop of ice cream and chocolate chips for dessert or serve it with buttermilk fried chicken for when you're craving some southern soul food. Whichever your flavor, here's a quick and easy waffles recipe - master the foundation and build it up to your fancy!
Recipe serves 6. Prep time 5 minutes, total cook time 15 minutes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy with an electric hand beater.
3. Gently beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract until batter is smooth and completely combined.
4. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray or brush with butter. Pour batter into the waffle iron.
5. Cook until golden brown for about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.
ALY'S COOKING TIPS
1. Preheat the waffle iron to avoid soggy waffles.
2. Customize your waffles while it's on the waffle iron by sprinkling your choice of chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruits. Avoid adding fresh vegetables and fruits as it will make the waffles soggy.